I love my work:
- deepening your connection with your body, health, heart and soul through yoga, meditation and holistic massage, and
- through Transformational Life Coaching, harnessing your innate creative visioning capacity to facilitate building your optimum life.
I am grateful to have felt guided by my own heart’s yearnings and intuitions to do this very fulfilling work.
Here is a summary of the major steps in my professional journey:
- 1972, my explorations in holistic health began in Berkeley. I moved there after being a US Air Force pilot in Vietnam…knowing my soul wanted a completely different life, and wanting to live someplace where I could feel utterly free to follow my heart. I was immediately drawn to explore yoga, meditation and massage.
- 1976, had the great blessing of being initiated into Siddha Meditation by Swami Muktananda, who was visiting California from India.
- 1980, completed yoga teacher training at the Iyengar Yoga Institute in San Francisco and Certified Massage Training at the Institute for Psycho-Structural Balancing in San Diego.
- 1983, received certification by the Biofeedback Certification Institute of America.
- 1986, earned an M.A. in East/West Psychology from the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco, with a pioneering thesis on the effects of stress and its management in living with HIV/AIDS.
- 1985, continued my study of yoga under the tutelage of T.K.V. Desikachar of Madras and at the Kripalu Yoga Ashram in Massachusetts.
- 1989, developed an innovative program of stress management for people affected by HIV/AIDS under the auspices of the AIDS Committee of Ottawa.
- since 1987, have been organizing and conducting Men In Touch retreats which offer men an opportunity to explore nurturing ourselves and one another through traditional body-mind healing practices, including yoga, tai chi, breath-work and simple, healing touch. These retreats have been held in British Columbia, Ontario, New York, Washington, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Florida and North Carolina.
- 1990, moved my private practice to Vancouver. BC
- 1992, received funding from Health Canada to conduct a 2-year study on stress management strategies for people living with HIV, entitled Growing Positively Healthier.
- 1985, began exploring the ancient Taoist and Tantric principles of integrating the erotic and the spiritual, through The Body Electric School. Deepened that exploration with Dr. Rudolf Ballentine, including a pilgrimage to India in 2001. I have been sharing my understanding with interested clients, both individually and in workshops. I believe there is enormous healing potential in this sacred-erotic alchemy, which is at last gaining recognition and respectability in the west.
- 2006, trained in Personal Life Coaching, which incorporates the latest research in psychology/neurology, at Erickson College in Vancouver, and through the Coach Training Alliance in Boulder.
- 2012, with the help of many friends, created a mini-course on YouTube in Sacred Touch Yoga, promoting the practice of sharing simple caring touch with family and friends as a form of active meditation.
- 2013, I was joined in my personal and professional life by Daka Ziji, a much younger, and very gifted teacher. Our collaboration has made it possible to create more and better events in Sacred Touch Yoga and Men In Touch.
My Transformational Life Coaching builds upon the holistic East/West perspective I learned in the 80s. I draw on all those body/mind skills in assisting you to tap into your own deepest wisdom to find guidance in creating your own “path with a heart.”